The first thing people notice about you is your smile. And, if you have imperfect teeth that need straightening, you can do so without having to wear traditional metal braces, thanks to Invisalign® aligners. Invisalign aligners don’t interrupt your life — they fit your life. And at each stage, you can see the progress of your new smile transforming.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a cutting edge alternative to braces that’s nearly undetectable to others. It doesn’t use wires and brackets to straighten your teeth, but instead a series of customized, clear and removable appliances known as aligners. The aligners are custom-made for you and just you.
The aligner trays are created with comfortable, smooth and practically invisible plastic you place over your teeth. They shift your teeth into position gently and slowly. Approximately every couple of weeks, you wear a new set of aligners, until you’ve completed your treatment. You’ll achieve a perfect smile with minimal interference to your day-to-day life.
You can take them out to enjoy your favorite foods like:
And, you continue brushing and flossing as you normally would. Invisalign is a great option for both adults and teens looking to have their teeth straightened without braces for an improved smile and better oral health.
There are options for Invisalign for adults and Invisalign for teens.
Benefits of Invisalign
Because of the unique technique Invisalign uses for moving teeth, it comes with a number of benefits over regular braces, including:
- More discreet: Invisalign aligners is a more discreet type of orthodontic treatment since the aligners are virtually invisible and almost nobody will even know you’re wearing them. You don’t have to worry about the inconvenience of braces during social events, photos or major presentations at work.
- Enjoy your favorite foods: You remove the aligners when eating with Invisalign, so you don’t need to worry about changing or modifying your diet like you would with braces.
- Increased comfort: Invisalign aligners are smooth to the touch, unlike the hard edges of the wires and brackets with braces. So, you won’t get minor cuts and scrapes in your mouth like you potentially can with braces.
- Brushing and flossing become easy: When you brush and floss your teeth, you take out the aligners, so oral hygiene is simple.
How Does Invisalign Differ from Braces?
Whether you want Invisalign for adults or teens, the most obvious difference between braces and Invisalign is the appearance. With braces, our orthodontist attaches brackets to each of your teeth with bonding material. They then add an archwire (thin, metal wire) from backet to bracket. Then the wire applies a slight force, causing your teeth to shift.
Invisalign uses a series of clear removable, computer-generated aligners that you wear which gradually shift your teeth into position with each set you put in.
The aligners in the Invisalign treatment are smooth and more comfortable than braces and virtually invisible, making it likely individuals won’t know you’re even wearing them.
Instead of being bonded or cemented to your teeth like with metal braces, you can remove clear aligners. So, you can actually remove them for things like:
- Brushing and Flossing
- Social occasions
What Is the Invisalign Treatment Process?
The Invisalign treatment process is quite similar to that of braces or other orthodontic treatments, with several changes. This is basically what you can expect:
- Your first Invisalign visit: During your initial visit, our orthodontist evaluates your orthodontic situation thoroughly and provide you with a comprehensive diagnosis. If they believe you’re an ideal candidate, they’ll begin your treatment.
- Tailoring your Invisalign treatment plan: Based on their diagnostic information, they’ll create a detailed, 3D computer model version of your bite. They’ll then use this model to customize your treatment plan and break it into a couple of week segments.
- Your custom aligners are manufactured: Based on the treatment plan, they’ll have your customized set of Invisalign clear aligners manufactured precisely to fit your mouth; either 12 or 48 pairs.
- Treatment: Each set of aligners, you’ll wear for two weeks, 22 hours a day. Then, you’ll switch to the next set which will shift your teeth closer to the ideal position. After your last set of aligners, your teeth should be straight and your treatment is complete.
Invisalign for Teens
Invisalign for teens were particularly developed keeping in mind the different challenges teens face when they use aligners to straighten their teeth. The Invisalign aligners’ special features that help teenagers deal with the common problems of wearing aligners. These special Invisalign for teens features include:
- Replacement Aligners: Damaging or losing aligners is a common complaint of teens using aligners. Invisalign for teens addresses this problem easily since it comes with six sets of replacement aligners. This way, teens can continue with their treatment if they damage or lose a set of aligners without any interruptions.
- Eruption Tabs: For teens who have incompletely erupted permanent teeth or still have some of their baby teeth, Invisalign for teens is a great solution, since the aligners have spaces for allowing simple eruption of permanent teeth.
- Color Indicators: Many teenagers don’t wear aligners in the way in which they’re prescribed by their orthodontist. Invisalign for teens makes it simpler for teens to follow their prescribed treatment plan. It has small blue marker dots that after two weeks (336 hours of wear), fade away, letting the teen know it’s time for a new set.
Contact Cassara Dental for More Information on Invisalign
At Cassara Dental, Dr. Joseph M. Cassara DDS and Dr. Maria Picariello DDS offer individuals of any age in Mountain View, CA general and cosmetic dentistry. We work hard to deliver all our patients with the best diagnosis and treatment plan to keep your mouth and teeth in the best health possible. Call our office at 650-969-2866 to set up your appointment or to request additional information on Invisalign or any of our other treatments and services.